The warm weather is finally here to stay, which means an abundance of festival fun! And this weekend hosts one of Austin’s best!!
The Pecan Street Festival has returned, and thousands of locals [and visitors from across the country] are excited to gather at the Historic 6th Street District for a weekend chock full of music, shopping, food and more!
First things first! Why is it called The Pecan Street Festival if it’s held on 6th Street? Excellent question… So here’s a little pre-weekend history lesson…
Edwin Waller (1800-1881) is an important figure in our city’s history. Chief Justice of Austin County from 1844-1856, he was also Austin’s first Mayor, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and the designer of the downtown grid plan. He named north-south streets after Texas rivers and recommended numeric designation for east-west streets. Instead, they were named after trees. That decision was later reversed, and they were renamed with numbers. Though Pecan Street became Sixth Street, the festival honors its original name.
One of the largest and longest running street fairs in the country, here’s everything you need to know about Pecan Street Fest!
- The Pecan Street Festival is a free 2-day arts festival held downtown on 6th Street!
- 3 decades old, this festival offers original handcrafted creations in a variety of mediums, from metal, wood, fiber, clay, leather, glass, stone and much more.
- More than 50 of Austin’s top musical acts – from new to seasoned veterans – perform on three stages, all located at 6th and Trinity, Neches, and Red River Streets.
- 30 food vendors located throughout the festival offer both indulgent and healthy options.. Fare for every palate.
- Kid friendly activities include rides, a petting zoo, face-painting, interactive workshops, street magicians and more.
- Hosted by Pecan Street Association, a 501(c)4 non-profit organization, the association donates its proceeds towards the preservation of Historic 6th Street!
This year, there will be over two hundred booths that will have an array of artisan apparel, jewelry, art, pottery, pet-care, home decor, candles and much more! The forecast shows weather perfection so get on out there and enjoy!!
Pecan Street Festival
Saturday, May 2, 2015 – 11:00am to 10:00pm
Sunday, May 3rd, 2015 – 11:00am to 8:00pm